Would I Send My Child Off To War? A Yes/No Debate

In my humble opinion, this is more of an emotional question than a question of need, at this point in humanity’s history. It is not necessary to fight for ones country because in all reality, there is no world domination threat at this time. So, under that pretext, then the answer to the question is no, I would not send my child off to war. I also would not be happy if he or she chooses to go into the military, with the desire to go to war - to kill mankind.

I understand the need for the military in our peaceful countries and I understand the need for peace-keeping in countries that are tearing themselves apart. I even understand the war against terrorism and I believe in the need to battle it. I will not criticize those who do go to do battle for the free world. But I would not send or encourage one of my own to do so, because I do not believe a physical war is necessary for our freedom. Although terrorism must stop, I do not believe terrorists are in any position to take away our rights, in our own lands. I do not believe that the benefits of war, outweigh the disadvantages of working for the military, at this point in time.

Financially speaking, the military is not an occupation to get into, since only a living is made and not a future for military children. Because there is not a world domination threat, the military is being forced to keep their budgets trimmed. Governments are controlled by the taxpayers, and therefore are not making the military as high a priority in their budget. Therefore the military is not paying a wage that one would expect for a life-threatening occupation. There are also other reasons for not joining the military. Will there be a position in the civilian market for your child, after he or she has returned from war? Often the future of ex- military personnel is over-looked. Once a person is trained by the military, they develop certain habits that are very difficult to over-come once they return to civilian life. Their posture is a military manner, their attitude is military mannered and indeed in three to five short years, their entire outlook on their future may have changed so completely, that civilian employers may defer the high quality military training, in favor of a more civilian attitude.

The excitement of ‘saving our freedom’ is a serious advantage in joining the military. If one of my own, wanted or needed to have this experience, then I would not in any way prevent their movement into the military. The need to see the world and learn of different cultures from experience is a strong pull to serve one's country. The learning experience is as good as most people can expect and so should see this as an opportunity to better oneself. However, because of the drawbacks involving the military at this time, I would choose not to encourage my child to join.