A Biography Of My Memories 186/228

While writing out some facts about myself in the tagged section, I remembered a memory that I thought should be wrote down. There are many of these important memories and as I think of them I will put them in place.


My Important Memory

My first memory was when the baby’s clothes caught fire while hanging above the stove in the kitchen. My mother put my little sister in my older sister’s arms on the doorstep. I must have been outside, because the picture I have in my mind is that of my older sister holding baby Karen, sitting on the door step, with my mother throwing buckets of water over the top of the stove.

I know this is my memory because Karen was 10 months younger than I and she died at 3 months, making me between 10 and 13 months old. Neither my mother nor my father ever spoke of my little sister other than to say, she died of rapid pneumonia, which claimed the lives for 57 babies in Halifax that winter.

Many years later, I told my mother of the memory, just before she died. She confirmed that it really did happen, but that she had forgot it. So I know I have a precious memory of my little sister now, along with all the memories of my precious mommy.

Magdalen Islands said... said:

September 20, 2007 at 7:48 PM  

6 comments:

jadey said...

Oh Gimme what a sad memory but atleast like you said you have a memory of your beloved sister and mom. Sorry for your losses.
July 18, 2007 10:13 PM

Magdalen Islands said... said:

September 20, 2007 at 7:48 PM  

Rebicmel said...

Gimme, I love this memory. These things are what define us at times or pave our way. This might not have but memories are important.
July 19, 2007 3:16 PM

Magdalen Islands said... said:

September 20, 2007 at 7:48 PM  

Sophia said...

That's so sad, but yet is a good thing that you can remember your sister. I'm so sorry for your loss. Your parents must have been devastated.
July 20, 2007 1:11 PM

Magdalen Islands said... said:

September 20, 2007 at 7:49 PM  

Keith Hillman said...

Thankyou for sharing that with us. Memories don't have to be happy ones to be important.
July 20, 2007 7:32 PM

Magdalen Islands said... said:

September 20, 2007 at 7:49 PM  

Toadee said...

it's amazing what we remember from our early years. Thank you for sharing this, it must be such a precious memory.
July 20, 2007 8:00 PM

Magdalen Islands said... said:

September 20, 2007 at 7:49 PM  

Magdalen Islands said...

Thanks, all of you.
July 21, 2007 12:04 AM